Who We Are
Johnson Nursery is company full of passion, enthusiasm and hard work, but more than that, we are a family. With family and faith at the center of our core, we strive to work each day to it's fullest potential in order to provide the very best experience for our customers. With the support of an outstanding team of over one hundred employees, Johnson Nursery nurtures and cultivates 1,400 varieties of annuals, perennials, ornamental shrubs, grasses, vines and tropical plants. We have spent the last 35 years in business learning and providing the highest quality plants and customer service to wholesale nurseries, independent garden centers, mom-and-pop stores, arboretums, botanical gardens, commercial and residential landscapers. Until recently, Johnson Nursery has never sold it's quality plants to the public. However, we are excited to announce with the opening of the Garden Center at Johnson Nursery, eastern North Carolina residents are welcome to visit and purchase our top quality plants at our Garden Center location! For more information about the Garden Center at Johnson Nursery visit the Garden Center tab in our menu or click here.
We are always looking to add additional talented people to our family! Please visit our career page for a list of our available positions.
Our Core Values
Passion for service and quality
- Communicate with actions not words.
- We must always strive to show this in every plant delivered and in every relationship.
- Understand what is expected and then deliver greater than expected.
- Trustworthy in word and action
- On time
- Better to say no than an unfulfilled yes
- When someone fumbles the first thing we do is fall on the ball.
- Own your mistakes, take full responsibility. Learn from mistakes and try not to repeat.
- Not my fault but my problem
- Work as team to effectively identity, discuss, and solve issues.
- Servant leader
- A rising tide raises all ships. (JFK)
- Constant pursuit of excellence
- With the help of your team, see projects through to completion.
- Your family and your faith are more important than work but when you are working, the employees, customers, and vendors of Johnson Nursery deserve your best effort, always.
- Gain ongoing knowledge about your position and use that knowledge to make confident, informed decisions.
- Recognize others’ value.
- No one has earned the right to be arrogant.
- I Corinthians 12:14-26
Enjoy your work
- Take time to touch, view, and smell the awesome products we produce.
- Take time to show appreciation to all of your coworkers. Everyone appreciates positive reinforcement of their value.
- Persevere through difficult challenges and tough days with an encouraging attitude
- Enthusiasm is contagious.
- Ecclesiastes 3:12-13 “I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in their toil-that is the gift of God”
Meet The Family
Annie, David (Boca), Jill, Chason (Tique)
David Johnson, founder and President of Johnson Nursery, dreamed of operating a wholesale nursery on his family farm in Willard, NC. After graduating from Duke University, David decided to embark on his dream and worked for Fairview Nursery in Wilson, NC. After a year and a half of getting his fingers rooted in the nursery life, he attended NC State where he studied Horticultural Science and nursery management with the renowned J.C. Raulston. This was setting fuel to David’s dreams. In 1981, he began Johnson Nursery - David’s heart and passion to this day.
Johnson Nursery started small, like most new things, and gradually grew. In 1987, Johnson Nursery added a valuable asset: David’s wife, Jill. Although Jill did not work at Johnson Nursery until later, she was a tremendous part of the success, first and foremost being David’s number one supporter. In 1991, the two became parents to their first born, Chason, and five years later their second born, Annie. A team of four now, the Johnson’s stayed busy continuing the expansion of his nursery.
Chason Johnson graduated from NC State in May of 2010 with a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Business Management and double minoring in Horticulture and Economics. In September, Chason began at Johnson Nursery and has continued to rise to today where he is a valuable asset to the operation of Johnson Nursery. Chason is the Vice President and focuses on Sales and Marketing. He not only contributes to the flow of the company, but also to his father’s dreams.